- •D-mannose (D-m) is a naturally occurring epimer of glucose with known immunoregulatory properties.
- •D-m treatment suppressed both chronic and relapsing-remitting experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE).
- •Treatment with D-m reduced numbers of immune cells in the brain and spinal cord of mice with EAE.
- •There was a reduction in numbers of myeloid cells present in the central nervous system (CNS) of mice with EAE treated with D-m.
- •D-m treatment increased the frequency of regulatory T (Treg) cells in the CNS, suggesting a Treg dependent mechanism.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Acute multiple sclerosis relapse.Continuum (Minneap Minn). 2016; 22: 799-814
- Natalizumab in multiple sclerosis: long-term management.Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2017; 18
- The cytokine GM-CSF drives the inflammatory signature of CCR2+ monocytes and licenses autoimmunity.Immunity. 2015; 43: 502-514
- Studies of mannose metabolism and effects of long-term mannose ingestion in the mouse.Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 2001; 1528: 116-126
- CC chemokine receptor 2 is critical for induction of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis.J. Exp. Med. 2000; 192: 899-905
- T cells in multiple sclerosis and experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis.Clin. Exp. Immunol. 2010; 162: 1-11
- CNS-resident classical DCs play a critical role in CNS autoimmune disease.J. Clin. Invest. 2018; 128: 5322-5334
- Mechanisms of suppression of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis by intravenous administration of myelin basic protein: role of regulatory spleen cells.Exp. Mol. Pathol. 2000; 68: 29-37
- Rituximab treatment for multiple sclerosis.Mult. Scler. 2020; 26: 137-152
- Regulatory T cells in autoimmune neuroinflammation.Immunol. Rev. 2014; 259: 231-244
- D-mannose powder for prophylaxis of recurrent urinary tract infections in women: a randomized clinical trial.World J. Urol. 2014; 32: 79-84
- Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy after natalizumab monotherapy.N. Engl. J. Med. 2009; 361: 1081-1087
- The clinical spectrum of phosphomannose isomerase deficiency, with an evaluation of mannose treatment for CDG-Ib.Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 2009; 1792: 841-843
- Regulatory T cells in the central nervous system.Immunol. Rev. 2012; 248: 156-169
- The compartmentalized inflammatory response in the multiple sclerosis brain is composed of tissue-resident CD8+ T lymphocytes and B cells.Brain. 2018; 141: 2066-2082
- Continuous mannose infusion in carbohydrate-deficient glycoprotein syndrome type I.Acta Paediatr. 1997; 86: 1138-1140
- The role of suppressor T cells in regulation of immune responses.J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 2002; 110: 693-702
- Effect of D-mannose and D-glucose on Escherichia coli bacteriuria in rats.Urol. Res. 1983; 11: 97-102
- Foxp3+ regulatory T cells in the control of experimental CNS autoimmune disease.J. Neuroimmunol. 2008; 193: 1-11
- Multiplexed imaging of immune cells in staged multiple sclerosis lesions by mass cytometry.Elife. 2019; 8(
- Successful prenatal mannose treatment for congenital disorder of glycosylation-Ia in mice.Nat. Med. 2011; 18: 71-73
- D-mannose induces regulatory T cells and suppresses immunopathology.Nat. Med. 2017; 23: 1036-1045
- Loss of ‘homeostatic’ microglia and patterns of their activation in active multiple sclerosis.Brain. 2017; 140: 1900-1913