- •Natalizumab treated patients had a lower percentage of CD4+ T cells in CSF expressing VLA-4.
- •Natalizumab treated patients had a higher percentage of CD4+ T cells expressing MCAM-1 in CSF.
- •Natalizumab treated patients had a higher percentage of MOG-reactive CD4+ T cells in blood.
- •Stable natalizumab patients had a higher increase of MOG-reactive CD4+ T cells expressing MCAM-1 in blood.
- •No association between disease activity and expression of MCAM-1 or ALCAM in blood of natalizumab-treated patients
The objectives were to study the expression of very late antigen (VLA)-4, melanoma cell adhesion molecule-1 (MCAM-1) and activated leukocyte cell adhesion molecule (ALCAM) on CD4+ T cells during natalizumab treatment and to investigate the association with disease activity.
We find that subgroups of autoreactive T cells are retained in peripheral blood, in particular MOG-reactive CD4+ T cells expressing MCAM-1. The expression of MCAM-1 or ALCAM on CD4+ T cells was, however, not clearly associated with disease activity (clinical or MRI) during natalizumab treatment. We confirm upregulation of MCAM-1 on CD4+ T cells during natalizumab treatment while VLA-4 is downregulated.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Neuroimmunology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Surface expression of alpha 4 integrin by CD4 T cells is required for their entry into brain parenchyma.J. Exp. Med. 1993; 177: 57-68
- Effect of natalizumab on circulating CD4+ T-cells in multiple sclerosis.PLoS One. 2012; 7e47578
- The role of gender and sex hormones in determining the onset and outcome of multiple sclerosis.Mult. Scler. 2014; 20: 520-526
- Phenotypical and functional characterization of T helper 17 cells in multiple sclerosis.Brain. 2009; 132: 3329-3341
- Multiple sclerosis candidate autoantigens except myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein are transcribed in human thymus.Eur. J. Immunol. 2002; 32: 2737-2747
- Activated leukocyte cell adhesion molecule promotes leukocyte trafficking into the central nervous system.Nat. Immunol. 2008; 9: 137-145
- Serum Neurofilament light: A biomarker of neuronal damage in multiple sclerosis.Ann. Neurol. 2017; 81: 857-870
- T-helper 17 cells expand in multiple sclerosis and are inhibited by interferon-beta.Ann. Neurol. 2009; 65: 499-509
- IL17 and IFNgamma production by peripheral blood mononuclear cells from clinically isolated syndrome to secondary progressive multiple sclerosis.Cytokine. 2008; 44: 22-25
- Cutting edge: loss of alpha4 integrin expression differentially affects the homing of Th1 and Th17 cells.J. Immunol. 2011; 187: 6176-6179
- Axonal damage in relapsing multiple sclerosis is markedly reduced by natalizumab.Ann. Neurol. 2011; 69: 83-89
- T helper cell type 1 (Th1), Th2 and Th17 responses to myelin basic protein and disease activity in multiple sclerosis.Immunology. 2008; 125: 161-169
- Induction of systemic TNFalpha in natalizumab-treated multiple sclerosis.Eur. J. Neurol. 2008; 15: 309-312
- The effects of natalizumab on inflammatory mediators in multiple sclerosis: prospects for treatment-sensitive biomarkers.Eur. J. Neurol. 2009; 16: 528-536
- Natalizumab treatment is associated with peripheral sequestration of proinflammatory T cells.Neurology. 2009; 72: 1922-1930
- Failure of natalizumab to prevent relapses in neuromyelitis optica.Arch. Neurol. 2012; 69: 239-245
- Melanoma cell adhesion molecule identifies encephalitogenic T lymphocytes and promotes their recruitment to the central nervous system.Brain. 2012; 135: 2906-2924
- Increased memory Th17 cells in patients with neuromyelitis optica and multiple sclerosis.J. Neuroimmunol. 2011; 234: 155-160
- CD6 as a potential target for treating multiple sclerosis.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 2017; 114: 2687-2692
- ALCAM (CD166) is involved in extravasation of monocytes rather than T cells across the blood-brain barrier.J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2016; 37 (271678x16678639): 2894-2909
- Interleukin-17 mRNA expression in blood and CSF mononuclear cells is augmented in multiple sclerosis.Mult. Scler. 1999; 5: 101-104
- Stratification and monitoring of natalizumab-associated progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy risk: recommendations from an expert group.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 2016; 87: 117-125
- A controlled trial of natalizumab for relapsing multiple sclerosis.N. Engl. J. Med. 2003; 348: 15-23
- Natalizumab effects on immune cell responses in multiple sclerosis.Ann. Neurol. 2006; 59: 748-754
- Smoking affects the interferon-beta treatment response in multiple sclerosis.Neurology. 2018; 90 (Accepted and scheduled to appear in the February 13, 2018 print issue of Neurology®): e593-e600
- Smoking is associated with increased disease activity during natalizumab treatment in multiple sclerosis.Mult. Scler. 2019; 25: 1298-1305
- A randomized, placebo-controlled trial of natalizumab for relapsing multiple sclerosis.N. Engl. J. Med. 2006; 354: 899-910
- Treatment with natalizumab in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis patients induces changes in inflammatory mechanism.J. Clin. Immunol. 2011; 31: 623-631
- Using EAE to better understand principles of immune function and autoimmune pathology.J. Autoimmun. 2013; 45: 31-39
- The anatomical and cellular basis of immune surveillance in the central nervous system.Nat Rev Immunol. 2012; 12: 623-635
- VLA-4 blockade promotes differential routes into human CNS involving PSGL-1 rolling of T cells and MCAM-adhesion of TH17 cells.J. Exp. Med. 2014; 211: 1833-1846
- Recurrence or rebound of clinical relapses after discontinuation of natalizumab therapy in highly active MS patients.J. Neurol. 2014; 261: 1170-1177
- Immunology of multiple sclerosis.Annu. Rev. Immunol. 2005; 23: 683-747
- Altered CD4+/CD8+ T-cell ratios in cerebrospinal fluid of natalizumab-treated patients with multiple sclerosis.Arch. Neurol. 2006; 63: 1383-1387
- Immune surveillance in multiple sclerosis patients treated with natalizumab.Ann. Neurol. 2006; 59: 743-747
- T and B cell responses to myelin-oligodendrocyte glycoprotein in multiple sclerosis.J. Immunol. 1991; 146: 1490-1495
- Relapses in multiple sclerosis are age- and time-dependent.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 2008; 79: 1368-1374
- Prevention of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis by antibodies against alpha 4 beta 1 integrin.Nature. 1992; 356: 63-66
Published online: October 13, 2019
Accepted: October 7, 2019
Received in revised form: October 6, 2019
Received: January 15, 2019
© 2019 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.